Monday, September 3, 2012

Amish Potato Salad

A half-recipe makes a large amount--this is just what was left over. :)
My first recipe post on my new blog!  What's a blog about home life without recipes, right?  There will be plenty more to come, just wait and see!

I've had this recipe for quite awhile and have made it for many carry-ins and family get-togethers.  Everyone but my son likes it. :)  People are always asking for the recipe, so here it is!

The funny thing about this to me is that I don't think I got the recipe from any of my former Amish neighbors, who wrote their recipes longhand on recipe cards or index cards (oh, yes, I remember them fondly when I see their neatly-written cards in my recipe boxes).  This Amish Potato Salad recipe is printed out on computer printer paper!  Hmmmm . . .

But it is very Amish-like, simple yet delicious, with sugar in the dressing to give it some sweetness that balances very well with the vinegar and mustard.

Well, here goes!

Amish Potato Salad

Note:  I usually halve this recipe!!

12 cups potatoes, peeled, cooked, and shredded
12 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 c. chopped onions
1 1/2 c. chopped celery

Dressing:
3 c. mayonnaise
3 tbsp. vinegar
3 tbsp. mustard
4 tsp. salt
2c. sugar
1/2 c. milk

Mix together potatoes, eggs, onions, and celery in a large bowl.  Whisk dressing ingredients together in separate bowl, and pour over potato mixture.  Mix well, cover and refrigerate. 

This full recipe says it serves approximately 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what is on your mind and heart. Respectfully-written differences of opinion are definitely respected here! :)